The Liberty Hill Foundation is seeking an experienced, creative, strategic communications and
marketing leader to serve as its new Chief Communications Officer. Communications and
"storytelling" have been at the heart of Liberty Hill's many decades of important work
impacting the social justice landscape in Los Angeles.
The CCO will develop, plan and execute the organization's overarching communications and
marketing work, which is a key part of the organization's programs, advocacy and fundraising
efforts. This important work will elevate the Foundation's influence and thought leadership,
drive LHF's fundraising and engagement goals, enhance the awareness and profile of LHF,
highlight key contributions of LHF's grantee partners, and advance LHF's programmatic and
community organizing goals. The CCO will serve as a trusted advisor to the CEO, and is an
integral member of the executive team. The position reports to the President & CEO.
The ideal candidate should be: 1) an experienced communications and marketing leader skilled
in developing and executing an organization-wide communications and marketing strategy and
function; 2) fully versed in creating and leveraging a full range of communications tools and
tactics (e.g., marketing, messaging, branding, digital, social and print media, collateral material
development (including short-form video), events and speaking engagements); 3) skilled at
developing messaging and marketing that emotionally connects with key constituents; and 4)
extremely passionate and knowledgeable about social justice issues, particularly in Los Angeles
County. The CCO must have a reputation as a connector and a strong colleague, have exquisite
writing skills, and exceptional interpersonal, collaboration, communication and management
Liberty Hill is "L.A.'s social justice epicenter." Through organizing, philanthropy and visionary
leadership the organization has built power and won the progressive policies that make L.A. a
model for the nation. Liberty Hill's Agenda for a Just Future includes four focus areas: 1) LGBTQ
Justice; 2) Economic Justice; 3) Environmental Justice; and 4) Racial Justice.
Communications Strategy and Function
- Develop, and oversee the execution of a strategic plan encompassing communications,
messaging, marketing and branding in support of the organization's strategic goals.
- Oversee the creation and agile leveraging of the full range of communications tools and
tactics (e.g., messaging, branding, digital, social and print media, collateral material
development (including short-form video), events and speaking engagements) for the
- Develop and implement a practice to ensure that LHF values and beliefs are integrated into
all of its communications efforts and key messages, and consistent across channels.
- Work in concert with Advancement team to provide key messaging (both text and visual)
for fundraising outreach to various audience segments, and best-in-class communications
and support on all interactions with the full range of LHF donors and potential donors.
- Work with the President and CEO in her role as chief spokesperson for the Foundation.
Work similarly with the senior leadership team, program staff and Board.
- Create a marketing/public relations strategy that will allow LHF to cultivate and enhance
meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media
and key influencers.
- Write and present on behalf of LHF. Represent the organization at relevant meetings,
conferences, events and convenings as needed.
- Identify and manage the implementation of communications activities for a range of LHF
events, speaking engagements, and collateral material development.
- Facilitate opportunities for earned media and news coverage in key outlets.
- Evaluate the impact of communications programs on an ongoing basis. Create internal and
external feedback loops that inform the continued success of the communications function
in helping the Foundation achieve its strategic goals.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting,
planning, and staff development.
- Manage communications team of three direct reports. Mentor and develop the staff using a
supportive and collaborative approach.
- Recruit and supervise communications consultants and freelance contributors including but
not limited to copywriters, editors, videographers, social media marketers, graphic
designers, illustrators, and photographers when there is a demand.
- Promote a culture within the team of high performance and continuous improvement that
values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set
objectives, and conduct annual performance appraisals.
Technology / Innovation / Accountability
- Model and adopt the use of technology and communications channels.
- Stay up to date with trends and best practices. Connect regularly with other communicators
to learn about trends and best practices.
- Pursue innovative approaches and experiment with new media products to maintain
competitiveness for donor engagement within overall media environment.
- Provide information and insight on mass media trends and emerging best practices.
- Train and educate staff and foundation community on changes in media landscape.
- Initiate and/or participate in regular review of communications media products'
effectiveness, viability and sustainability; recommend adjustments in production processes,
quality standards and funding as needed to prioritize support of the LHF mission.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field.
- Leadership experience working in an innovation-oriented communications role in a social
justice- or social change–focused nonprofit organization, public sector entity, foundation or
other organization. Demonstrated experience driving positive social change through a
comprehensive communications strategy is key.
- Demonstrated experience in both execution and management in communications. Ability to
quickly gain the trust and respect of the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Substantive experience in strategic communications, marketing, planning, digital media,
content creation and media relations.
- Experience in the core issues related to the Foundation's mission – LGBTQ, economic,
environmental and racial justice – is a plus.
- Knowledge and understanding of Los Angeles County's nonprofit, philanthropic and social
justice communities. A keen sense of L.A.'s political and social justice landscapes is a plus.
- Track record of successfully working in complex environments serving internal clients and
external constituents and utilizing their communications strengths to further institutional
- Exceptional writing, editing and presentation skills with strong attention to detail and a
strong focus on a message-oriented, storytelling approach.
- Demonstrated ability to establish strategy, develop work plans, multitask and deliver quality
work on time and within budget.
- Relationships with a strong network of outstanding collaborative contributors/freelancers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to effectively manage staff, lead
teams and work well with people at all levels of the organization.
- Experience working on political campaigns or in politics is a plus.
Liberty Hill is comprised of a talented, passionate and collaborative team deeply committed to
social justice, and a culture and values fit is incredibly important. The following are important
- You are passionate, motivated and driven by the Liberty Hill mission.
- You work effectively with diverse and broad-based community constituencies.
- You are highly collaborative, adaptable, flexible, responsive, positive and kind; no task is too
big or small.
- You have excellent judgement and demonstrate maturity in dealing with personnel and
- You are confident, but humble. You inspire confidence in others.
- You hold yourself to the highest standards and achieve results.
- You understand and consider organizational culture and change.
- You are self-directed, take initiative and develop solutions quickly and effectively.
- You have a good sense of humor and perspective. You like to have fun at work!
- You have impeccable personal integrity and work ethic.
Martha Montag Brown & Associates, LLC has been retained for this search. Interested and
qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by sending a cover letter, resume and salary
requirements by email to: Martha@marthamontagbrown.com.
Liberty Hill Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. All correspondence will remain