When Liberty Hill began in 1976, it was a daring new foundation that turned philanthropy on its head. Today it is a national leader in social justice. Organizing and advocacy powered by Liberty Hill has changed national policies, launched social change movements, transformed neighborhoods, and nurtured hundreds of community leaders who respond to the experience of injustice by fighting for their rights.
As a member of the Communications Department, the Deputy Director, Marketing & Public Relations, proactively and creatively advances the foundation's public relations, marketing, and visibility initiatives. This experienced creative professional is responsible for executing the annual communications and marketing plan focusing on a combination of earned and paid media, event promotion, targeted outreach campaigns, and a content creation strategy across multiple digital and social media channels. Other roles include the implementation of a broad range of communications, marketing, media relations, and community engagement tactics that support strategic outreach and visibility goals.
The successful candidate will be responsible for planning, executing and maintaining a robust communications calendar, as well as writing, publishing and gathering the human-interest stories that drive our work. S/he will work collaboratively with both internal and external stakeholders, representing the foundation at public and community events and with media representatives. S/he will commit to learning about relevant issues to create messaging and collateral that drives awareness, engagement, and public support from core audiences.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
PR & Marketing
- Develop and execute public relations and marketing strategies that enable Liberty Hill to cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Assist with the execution and management of a marketing campaign designed to target progressive Angelenos with a passion for social change.
- Work with CCO to execute PR and communications strategy for fundraising and program events (including press and VIP coordination, social media support, etc.)
- Provide communications and PR support to Liberty Hill grantees and partners as needed to support collaborative initiatives.
- Seek opportunities to pitch Liberty Hill experts for public speaking engagements and other public events to raise awareness of our work.
- Work with CCO to identify PR opportunities and execute appropriate strategies to secure news coverage on major policy campaigns and grantee progress.
- Maintain organizational media database; create and execute annual PR outreach plan.
- Serve as a lead content creator and storyteller—writing press releases, Op-Eds, newsletter articles, blog and Web/social media content, event scripts, talking points, etc.
- Spearhead content development for collateral (e.g., fact sheets, brochures, reports) and provide copy-editing and proofing for all projects.
- Maintain an active story bank by working with internal stakeholders and subject matter experts to capture, curate, and organize content on an ongoing basis to support communications needs.
- Manage the production and content schedule for all Liberty Hill print and e-publications; and provide management of the editorial process, including fact-checking, printing and distribution.
- Work with Advancement team to oversee the development and distribution of donor outreach collateral, including fundraising appeals, e-updates and other materials.
- Create a culture of communications excellence by working with colleagues to enhance communication skills and practices across the organization.
- Supervise staff (to be determined) to support the implementation of the annual communications and marketing plan.
- Direct staff in prioritizing projects, assigning roles, and working with other supervisors as necessary to achieve cross-functional goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate participatory and strategic leadership on the Supervisor's Team
- Provide direct feedback to staff about SMART goals and Liberty Hill's Core Competencies.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications or related field.
- 5 to 7 years of senior-level work experience in communications, public relations and marketing, with nonprofit experience preferred.
- Excellent communications skills and extensive writing and editing experience in a variety of print and online media.
- Proven ability to create compelling messages and tell human impact stories that inspire action.
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Action-oriented problem solver willing to help yourself and others overcome challenges and roadblocks.
- Knowledge and experience working with media representatives, pitching and placing stories, and responding to media requests.
- Proficiency with social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube and LinkedIn.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite applications.
- Knowledge of Media Database Systems (Cision, Meltwater, etc.) management.
- Knowledge of content management systems such as WordPress/Drupal, customer relationship management and email marketing systems.
- Strong team player with a positive attitude and willingness to work collaboratively with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends as events require.
- Passion for Liberty Hill's mission and work in Los Angeles.
- Manual dexterity for operating a computer keyboard, printer, photocopier, calculator, etc.
- Ability to sit at a desk or conference table for extended periods of time within an office environment.
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds.
The descriptions herein are representative of the essential functions of this job. This job description reflects management's assignment of functions; however it does not prescribe or restrict tasks that may be assigned. Nothing in this document restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Upon request, reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities.
Employment with Liberty Hill Foundation is on an "at-will" basis. Nothing in this document is intended to create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, and does not constitute a promise of continued employment.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send a resume, salary requirements and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applicants whose resumes are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Liberty Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to having the rich diversity of our community reflected in our workforce.
Liberty Hill promotes equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. In doing so, we comply with local, state, and federal laws and regulations to ensure an equal employment opportunity for everyone. We don't discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, military service obligation, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Our policies and personnel practices are intended to ensure that all of us are treated equally with regard to recruiting, hiring, and advancement, and our decisions on employment are made to further the principle of equal employment opportunities for employees.