When Liberty Hill began in 1976, it was a daring new foundation that turned philanthropy on its head. Today it is a national leader in social justice. Organizing and advocacy powered by Liberty Hill has changed national policies, launched social change movements, transformed neighborhoods, and nurtured hundreds of community leaders who respond to the experience of injustice by fighting for their rights.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Senior Accountant will perform all aspects of Liberty Hills’ day-to-day accounting and will also assist with financial reporting functions. They will review accounts payable and receivables, assist with audits and tax returns, process payroll and prepare grant reporting.
The Senior Accountant will work standard business hours, Monday-Friday. The Senior Accountant will be based out of the Liberty Hill offices in Los Angeles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews all accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Performs monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Maintains and reconciles general ledger accounts, including all investment accounts.
- Allocates monthly expenses to various funding streams based on agency’s cost allocation plan.
- Prepares departmental expense reports for directors.
- Assists with preparation of financial statements for management and the Board of Directors.
- Processes payroll and maintains personnel record management.
- Works with other departments to reconcile accounting records.
- Prepares financial reports for all foundation grants.
- Assists with managing audits, in collaboration with the Director of Finance, including preparing schedules and providing auditors with requested information.
- Prepares additional schedules as needed for preparation of the Foundation’s tax returns.
- Assists the Director of Finance during the Budget Preparation process and the Revised Budget process.
- Supervises the Accounting Clerk.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business from an accredited college or university.
- Five years’ experience in accounting, preferably in a non-profit or foundation environment.
- General knowledge of concepts of financial management for non-profit organizations.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices, principles and methods.
- Proficient in Financial Edge Software.
- Computer proficiency in Windows operating system and MS Office software including Word and Excel. Ability to operate Internet applications and email as well as proficiency in financial accounting software/systems.
- Experience reconciling investment funds.
- Knowledge of mathematical calculations and data analysis.
- Experience with preparation and analysis of financial records and reports.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to organize workload and multi-task.
- Experience working with donor advised funds.
- Experience working for a foundation.
Liberty Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to having the rich diversity of our community reflected in our workforce.
Liberty Hill promotes equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. In doing so, we comply with local, state, and federal laws and regulations to ensure an equal employment opportunity for everyone. We don’t discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, military service obligation, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Our policies and personnel practices are intended to ensure that all of us are treated equally with regard to recruiting, hiring, and advancement, and our decisions on employment are made to further the principle of equal employment opportunities for employees.
Applicants should send a resume, salary requirements and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applicants whose resumes are selected for an interview will be contacted.