The Agenda for a Just Future
Time and time again, Los Angeles has been at the frontlines of the fight for social justice, and Liberty Hill has been engaged when and where the struggle is most intense.
The Fight for Justice Begins in Los Angeles.
Liberty Hill’s Agenda for a Just Future is a five-year campaign that seeks to tackle key areas of injustice and find long-term solutions to make L.A. the just and equitable place we know it can be. We have to pick our fights and Liberty Hill picks our youth, our homes, and our health.
With this Agenda for a Just Future, we will:
Our Impact in 2020
Ending Youth Incarceration As We Know It
Key area of injustice: More young people are incarcerated or under law enforcement supervision in L.A. County than in any other jurisdiction in the nation.
- $75M divested from punishment systems and redirected to youth development programs
- Established new LA County Youth Development Department
- Youth arrests down 31%*
- Youth incarceration down 52%*
- Closed half of LA’s youth jails (9)*
- Raised more than $4M+ for Our Kids, Our Future fund*
Fighting for a Roof Over Every Head
Key area of injustice: Los Angeles has the nation's largest unsheltered homeless population.
- Launched Stay Housed L.A. County program, reaching over 180,000 tenants to prevent eviction, in partnership with LA County and 20 community organizations
- Won permanent rent stabilization in 4 jurisdictions*
- Passed temporary emergency eviction protections and rent caps in 15+ cities throughout LA County
Eliminating Toxic Neighborhood Oil Drilling
Key area of injustice: Los Angeles is the largest urban oil field in America..
- LA City Council drafted a motion to phase out oil drilling throughout the City
- Culver City voted to end drilling in Inglewood Oil Field
- Expanded emPOWER program to provide critical access to environmental subsidies and resources to residents in highly polluted neighborhoods
*Progress since 2017 when we launched Agenda for a Just Future
We do this not because we want to, but because we have to. Our lives depend on it.